Piety and power in the Welsh march: Gwladus and William of Raglan Castle
An event forming part of the Church Monuments Society’s ‘The Stories Monuments Tell’ series of free Spring online lectures 2022. Everybody welcome!
Piety and power in the Welsh march: the story of Gwladus Ddu and William ap Thomas of Raglan Castle: Professor Madeleine Gray
Not a love story – but a couple who rose from relative obscurity to found one of the most powerful dynasties in Wales. William ap Thomas (d. 1445) may have fought at Agincourt, and he built much of Raglan Castle, Wales’s most spectacular late medieval stronghold. Gwladus (c. 1380 – 1454) was commemorated by the Welsh bards, and her tomb tells us a lot about the priorities and beliefs of women in late medieval Wales.
This online talk is FREE to all and will take place on Zoom. Places must be booked via Eventbrite – go to https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/piety-and-power-in-the-welsh-march-gwladus-and-william-of-raglan-castle-registration-262564506507?aff=ebdsoporgprofile to register. This is one of a series of online talks delivered by the Church Monuments Society for Spring 2022. For details of the others, go to our Events pages at https://churchmonumentssociety.org/events.
• Please ensure you have already downloaded and installed Zoom to the device you wish to use. Read their guide if you are unsure about how to do this (https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115004954946-Joining-and-participating-in-a-webinar-attendee- )
• Make sure you have registered via Eventbrite using your correct email address (or you will not receive the joining instructions).
• We will email the access link to you via Eventbrite shortly before the event begins.
• Please ensure that Eventbrite is on your safe-senders list and check your Spam/Junk inbox for our communications if you cannot see them.
During the webinar:
• Please remain muted throughout.
• The talk will last approximately 45 minutes and will be followed by questions.
• You are welcome to use the Chat box to contact panellists.
• Send formal questions for the speaker using the Q&A function so that they are easily identifiable. These can then be put to the speaker by one of our event coordinators.
• The session may be recorded by the Church Monuments Society. Screenshots and/or recording by participants is not permitted for copyright reasons.
• The host can remove attendees from the webinar.
• If you experience technical difficulties, contact panellists using the chat function. We will do our best to help.
• Enjoy the talk!