Commemoration and burial practices of the Scots in 17th century Ireland
An event forming part of the Church Monuments Society’s series of online lectures for the Season of All Hallows, 2022. Everybody welcome!
In the course of the seventeenth century tens of thousands of Scots migrated to Ireland, settling mainly in the northern province of Ulster, but also turning up in smaller numbers elsewhere across the island. This talk discusses the ways in which these Scots commemorated their dead through an exploration of the tombstones and church monuments they commissioned and erected. The talk will also consider the places chosen for burial and the way funerals were organised.
Dr William Roulston is Research Director of the Ulster Historical Foundation, a research agency and publishing house in Northern Ireland. He has written several books on different aspects of Irish and in particular Ulster history and is a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.
This online talk is FREE to all and will take place on Zoom. Places must be booked via Eventbrite at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/commemoration-and-burial-practices-of-the-scots-in-17th-century-ireland-registration-269659026407?aff=ebdsoporgprofile. This is one of a series of online talks delivered by the Church Monuments Society for Autumn 2022.
JOINING INSTRUCTIONS: You should receive a link from Eventbrite two days before the event, two hours before the event, and just as the event begins. If you have not received the link, contact us via Eventbrite so we can try to resolve this.
• Please ensure you have already downloaded and installed Zoom to the device you wish to use. Read their guide if you are unsure about how to do this (https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115004954946-Joining-and-participating-in-a-webinar-attendee- )
• Make sure you have registered via Eventbrite using your correct email address (or you will not receive the joining instructions).
• We will email the access link to you via Eventbrite shortly before the event begins.
• Please ensure that Eventbrite is on your safe-senders list and check your Spam/Junk inbox for our communications if you cannot see them.
During the webinar:
• Please remain muted throughout.
• The talk will last approximately 45 minutes and will be followed by questions.
• You are welcome to use the Chat box to contact panellists.
• Send formal questions for the speaker using the Q&A function so that they are easily identifiable. These can then be put to the speaker by one of our event coordinators.
• The session may be recorded by the Church Monuments Society. Screenshots and/or recording by participants is not permitted for copyright reasons.
• The host can remove attendees from the webinar.
• If you experience technical difficulties, contact panellists using the chat function. We will do our best to help.
• Enjoy the talk!
Image Credits: Dr William Roulston