SOMERSET - 3

 

Nynehead  Pedomer  Pitminster  Porlock  Rodney Stoke  Radstock  St Catherine  Stowey  Swainswick South Petherton  Stogursey  Taunton  Tickenham  Watchet  Wellington  Wells Cathedral  Withycombe  Whitelackington  Whatley  Woolley  Wraxall  Yatton Yeoville

  Nynehead - All Saints

The church is locked: several  telephone numbers are given on the south door to contact if you wished to visit.
The church is in the grounds of Nynehead Court, mainly of 1675, which is now a private residential home. Park in the designated car park and report to reception on arrival.

From left to right:-
1. Edward Clarke (1697) & Wife (1667) erected during his lifetime; said to have been made at Milverton and cost £25
2. Henrietta Sanford (1837) Angel by Castoli.
3. John Sanford (1835) Bust by Castoli
4. Said to be a memorial to John Lock the philosopher. No name
5. Richard Wyke (1590) & Margaret ( 1578 at 41) They had 17 children.

 

Pedomer - St Roche

Church open during normal hours. Park somewhere in the village.
Pendomer is at the end of a single track and somewhat pot-holed lane, which then terminates. The village now consists only of a few houses and the church; the entrance to the church yard (which is sign posted) appears to be shared by the manor house.



The effigy (said to be of Sir John de Dummer, 1268-1320) is of c. 1320 and not in situ but now in the recess in north wall of nave. Note the arms carved in relief on both the shield, which is held by a strap around the left arm, and surcoat. 

Pitminster - St Andrew & St Mary

Church open during normal hours. Park somewhere in the village.

John Colles (1627) & Elizabeth (1634)
Note the three daughters kneeling against the tomb chest and the babies at Elizabeth's head and feet. John clasps a book in his left hand.

 John Coles (1607) & Anne
Note the three daughters (one holding a skull - indicating she predeceased her parents) and three sons kneeling against the tomb chest. Alabaster

Humphrey Colles (1570)
The inscription states that this monument was formerly in the chancel. Locally called 'Black Humphrey'

 The two 17th century monuments are on either side of the chancel; Humphrey's monument is in the westernmost part of the north aisle in a curtained off area, easy to miss. They represent father, son and grandson. The two polychrome monuments were repainted in 1927. There are also several minor wall monuments in this church.  

Porlock - St Dubricius

The church open during normal hours
There is some - but limited -  parking in the village, pay and display car parks - moderate cost - one very small near the church - parallel to south wall

The Harrington Monument

 
John, 4th Lord Harrington (1418) & Elizabeth Courtney

The tomb is not in its original position. The effigies are of alabaster and date from about 1460. The rest of the structure is of stone.
Lord Harrington accompanied King Henry V on his second expediation to France in 1417 but died there. His will of 1417 directed the institution of a chantry chapel with two priests; this was situated in the south aisle.

Two tomb chests with quatrefoils: that on the left is in the chancel, that on the right (more worn, originally being in the church yard) in the south porch. No inscription, matrices etc.

Two tomb niches in the south wall of the nave, that to the east being much smaller; there is no monument remaining. Was this perhaps a heart burial? The western niche contains the cross legged military effigy of the late 13th century as shown. Not in situ: to make it fit the niche the base has been cut and the feet removed; the lion was found and restored in 1888. Local tradition indentifies it as representing Sir Simon Fitz-Roges (1306)

Rodney Stoke
This church has not yet been visited
Radstock - St Nicholas

Anna Maria James (1818) & her three children

not legible
St Catherine

William Blanchard  (1631) & Wife

Stowey
St Nicholas & St Mary

William Jones (1748) by T Paty

Swainswick
St Mary

Catherine Winsloe (1802) by T King of Bath

South Petherton - St Peter & St Paul

Church open during normal hours. Park in the free car park a short distance from the church.

 North Transept
Top Left: William Aske (1657) with kneeling mother, Elizabeth & sister, Hannah. Behind in a frontal position are two children: James Ayshe and John Sandys
Note: this monument is in the North Transept and, although Pevsner says that it is in a vestry, it is separated from the nave only by a curtain and so readily accessible
.

   South Transept
Top Centre: Henry Compton (1603) & Wife oddly distorted figures.
Top Right: Military Effigy with some unusual features: the effigy has straight, not crossed, legs; the arms are carved in relief on the shield; the 'gambeson' (quilted garment under the mail shirt) is visible at the neck and the mail hood is thrown back, the lower front part falling forward and its laces are shown. Said locally to be Sir Philip de Albini (1294)
Bottom Left & Centre. Sir Giles Daubeney (1445) & Joan d'Arch.  Brasses on tomb chest with Purbeck marble slab.
Mary Daubeney (1442) Floor brass. She was Sir Giles's 2nd wife.
 

Stogursy - St Andrew

Church open during normal hours. Park outside the church

All these monuments are in the Verney chapel; there are also several minor wall monuments also in the church

Left: John de Verney (1472)
Above William de Verney (1333)
Left Top: Sir ThomasWroth (1721); below  this (not visible) to Thomas (1734) & Elizabeth Palmer (néeWroth) (1737)
Left Lower: Peregrine Palmer (1684)
Far Left: Nathaniel (1717) & Francisca Palmer (1712) He was the son of the above

Taunton - St Mary Magdalene

The church is centrally situated. Park in one of the town's rather expensive car parks.

Left : Robert Gray (1635)
Life sized figure on wall of north aisle.
Above: Thomas More (1576) rear wall of nave.
Also shown are a selection of wall monuments

Tickenham
This church has not yet been visited

Watchet - St Decumen

The church is kept locked but a notice on the door tells you from where to obtain the key
The church is on the outskirts of town and parking may be difficult.

Henry (1613) & George (ob 1624) Wyndham

George Wynham (1845)
Neo-Gothic.No effigy but inscription

Sir William Wyndham (1683) Standing monument but lower part not visible.

Edmund Wyndham (1616)
Brass set in floor of chancel.

Left: John Wyndham (1645) & Wife (1633) Large plate with brass portrait busts and heraldic shield. Probably by Nicholas Stone.

Right: John (1572) & Florence (1596) Wyndham Brasses with inscriptions and inlaid shields now set with next to the plate on the left against the wall.

A Tale of a Premature Burial

About a year after her marriage Florence collapsed - apparently dead -as she ran to meet her husband returning home. She was buried the next day in the Wyndham Crypt below the chancel. However the sexton - one Tom Hole - having seen the rings on Florence's body, returned to the crypt that night in an attempt to steal them. He used a knife to prize the rings from her fingers but in doing so scratch her hand so Florence awoke from her coma. Tom Hole fled, never to be seen again. Florence climbed out of her coffin and managed to return home. Seeing his wife return in her grave clothes, John fainted and it took some time to convince him she was neither ghost nor witch. A year later she gave birth to a son and later twins. To this day members of the Wyndham family are not buried until three days have elapsed.

Not Shown: Sir John Wyndham (1574) & Elizabeth Sydenham (1571). Tomb chest with three squared panels. Pevsner describes the former canopy thus: 'Canopy on four piers with curiously crude and amorphous piers. Round arch, but with Gothic panelling inside. A large and striking demi-figure of an angel peers out from the tomb across the chancel.' This canopy was dismantelled in the 20th century. On the top of the tomb chest are fine brasses of Sir John in armour and Lady Sydenham wearing a magnificent dress of the period. Below these figures are large brass inscription plates. Sir John accompanied Henry VIII's sister - Mary Tudor - to France on the occasion of her marriage to King Louis XII. Elizabeth bore six dughters and four sons. Sir John and Lady Elizabeth were married for 44 years and she bore him six daughters and four sons.

Wellington - St John the Baptist

The church is normally unlocked 9.00 am to 4.00 pm.
Park in the inexpensive pay and display car park near the church

Priest in mass vestments - early 14th century. Not in situ. The inscription around the edge of the slab is in English (rather than the usual Latin), very rare for the date. It is now very worn but is said to read: 'Richard Persone de Mere of Welintone liggith in grave Jhv Crist Godes Sone grawnte him' (Richard, Parson of [St] Mary's of Wellington lieth in [his] grave. Jesus Christ, God's Son, grant him [?]). The church was originally dedicated to St  Mary.

Sir John Popham (1607) & Wife. At the west end kneel his parents at a prayer desk; at the east end his only son Sir Francis & the latter's Wife kneel similarly. On the south side kneel their 6 daughters and behind them 3 maidservants - the difference in the ruffs may be noted. On the north side the 13 sons and daughters of Sir Francis kneel again at a prayer desk.
Alabaster. The tomb has been attributed to the workshop of Cornelius Cure. The tomb has been moved on two occasions but no trace of the grave was found.
As a Attorney General and Lord Chief Justice Sir John Popham was involved in the trials of Mary, Queen of Scots, The Earl of Essex, Sir Walter Raleigh and the Gunpowder Conspirators.

 

There are several wall monuments of interest in the church. Among these are one to John Cookesley, Apothecary and another to the Children of William Iesse 'Buried in a Cave near the Church Porch'  

Wells Cathedral
Cathedral Church of St Andrew

There is no entrance fee but voluntary contributions are welcome;  there is a charge for photography.
There is limited time street parking but better to park in a pay and display car park near the cathedral; cost is relatively high

Wells is a Cathedral of the Old Foundation. At the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries  it was the seat of a bishop of the diocese and presided over by a Dean and Chapter of  Secular Canons - priests who did not follow a monastic rule. This is more or less the situation today. The see was founded in 909, moved to Bath in 1090 and Bath and Wells in 1218.

North-East Transept  South-East Transept  South-East Chapel  South Chancel Aisle  North Chancel Aisle  East Aisle of North Transept  Nave 
South Transept - S.E. or St Martin's Chapel  South Transept -N.E. or St Calixtus's Chapel  South Transept  Cloisters
<previous> pages <1> <2>
North-East Transept - Corpus Christi Chapel

John Milton (1337)

Dean Godelee (1333)

Bishop Creyghton (1672)  Alabaster

South-East Transept - St Katherine's Chapel SE - St John the Baptist's Chapel

Bishop Drokensford (1309-1329)

Humphrey Willin (1618)
Brass plate fixed to W Wall
By Robert Hadock Leaning figure with inscriptions

Dean John Gunthorpe (1498)
The arms to the left are of the Cathedral

Bishop Bitton (1264) or Canon John Martel (1343)

South Chancel Aisle

Bishop Dudico (1033-1060)

Unnamed Saxon Bishop

Bishop Eilwinus (997-999)

Bishop Burwoldus

The above Saxon Bishops of Wells (East to West) were all made retrospectively 1220-30. They differ in detail rather than style. The Easternmost (left) is said to be a little later. One is not named and those without dates are not listed in The Handbook of British Chronology.
There is also a fine incised slab to Bishop Bitton II (1274) but as this is under glass I have not been able to photograph it at all satisfactorily. This is said to be the earliest incised slab in England.

Bishop Bekynton (1443 - 1465)  15th century
original iron railings protect this effigy/cadaver
type tomb, which was built 15 years before his death. Original colour

Bishop Lord Arthur Hervey (1894) He rests his feet on a
snow leopard: the crest from his arms Signed by Tho Brock RA Sculp London 1897

Bishop John Harewell (1386)
Alabaster. Carved are two hares and ribbons of water - a rebus on his name.

North Chancel Aisle

Giso of Lorraine (1061-1088)

Levericus

Sigar (975-996)

 More Anglo-Saxon bishops in the retrospective series (East to West) The easternmost one (left) is one of the later (c 1250), the other two part of the earlier series. Note the later ones have low mitres and rest their heads on pillows with no canopy.

Bishop Ralph of Shrewsbury (1363)
He established the College of Vicars. Alabaster

Bishop Berkeley (1581)
Tomb chest with shields - no effigy or brass indent. Inscription

East Aisle of North Transept Nave

Bishop Cornish (1513)
Brass inscription. Matrix of
 brass figure on back

 Bishop John Still (1543- 1607)
Alabaster. He was the unlikely
 author of a drinking song!

 Bishop Kidder (1703)
The figure is that of his daughter

Bishop Nicholas Bubwith
(1407-1424)

Treasurer Hugh Sugar (1489)

Chantry chapels: no tomb chests or effigies

South Transept (SE or St Martin's Chapel) South Transept (NE or St Calixtus's Chapel)

William Byconyll (1448) inscription

Dean Hussee (1302-5) or Precentor Thomas Boleyn (1470)
Alabaster c. 1400. Stone canopy.  Very fine sculpture on the tc: on the east, the Annunciation; on the west The Trinity

South Transept

Bishop William de Marchia (1302)  To the right is a separate chantry altar

Countess de Lisle (1406) brass plate
 afixed to the chantry altar to record her burial here

The Cloisters

There are many ledger stones and brass matrices (and a few later brasses) but very few wall monuments in the main parts of the Cathedral. These latter are all now in the cloisters: the west arm of which is now a shop and restaurant, the south arm inaccessible when I visited but the east arm is accessible though the garth. Below are a few examples:     

 John Berkeley Burland (1804)
By John Bacon Jn

George Hooper (1727)
By Samuel Tuffnel of Westminster

 Abigail Guilford (1726), daughter Rebecca (1716) & brother Charles (1707)

John Philips (1834)
By Chantry, 1837

Top of Page

Withycombe - St Nicholas

Church open during normal hours
Park somewhere in the village - may be tight!

Lady (c. 1300) Holds heart. On windowsill north side of nave. The two structures on either side of the monument (now used as flower vases) are candlesticks and probably were always part of the monument. There was presumably a chantry connected with it and the candles would have been required for the obits. Ham Hill stone.
It is variously said to be a member of the Fitznurse family (1290-1300) but could be 10-20 years earlier. Local tradition gives it to be of  Lucy Malet and her second husband Thomas of Timworth, early 14th century.

Male Civilian (late 14th century) Under low arch on the south side, obstructed by the pews. He wears a simple long gown: no sword etc. Ham Hill stone. The feet have been removed so probably not in situ. Is that a hat

Whitelackington - St Mary
Near Ilminster

The church is locked but a notice in the porch advises that the key may be obtained from the house behind the church. Park outside the church

Whitelackington (one word - despite Pevsner!) is a small village of a church and a few houses. Although it is close to the A303, it can be difficult to reach so best to obtain a 1:50,000 scale map of the area. Note that there is a White Lackington (two words) in Dorset.

North Transept

 

Left & right:
Sir George Speake (1583) but monument is about 25 years earlier

South Transept

Left Top: Knight of c.1375  (said locally to be John de Bridport)

Left Middle & Bottom: Civilian of c. 1350 (said locally to be Thomas de Montsorel) Note the sword and pouch
Both of these are on the floor and not in situ.

Near Right: John Hanning (1807), Harriet, wife of William Hanning (1805), William Hanning (1831) & Susan, widow of John (1834) Signed by J Richards, Exeter
Far Right: Male figure with child: Jessy, Wife of John Lee Lee Esq MP (1836). Below this is a further tablet to: John Lee Lee (1874) & his Wife Hon Mary Sophia Lee Lee (1888)

Whatley - St George

Sir Oliver de Cervington (ob after 1348)
Note the carved shields: three stag's head on a chevron. The feet lie on a stag in an arrangement of leaves.

Woolley - All Saints

Ann Worgan (1767)

Richard Bendyshe
( 1823) & Family

Wraxall - All Saints

North Somerset near Tyntesfield
Not the other one!

Left: Louisa Lucas (1807) unsigned
Above: Sir Edmund (1512) & Lady Gorges very good
Right: John Lucas (1817) by Tyler

Yatton
This church has not yet been visited

Yeoville - St John the Baptist

The church open weekdays 10am to 3pm, Saturday 10am to 1pm and Sunday for services at 8.00 am and 10.30 am.
The church is centrally situated so park in one of the town's car park, which are not always well sign posted but are of moderate cost.

Gyles & Isabell Penne (1519). The matrix (left) is on the choir floor but the various parts of the brass itself
 were set on a modern backing in 1917 on the wall of the north choir aisle. Her date is 1519 but his is left blank;
 he died in East Coker in 1560.

Rev Robert Phelips (1855) Vicar. By J S Westmacott (signed on base) Chancel

Wall monuments on the north and south walls of the chancel. Several are to former vicars.

Wall monuments on the west wall of the nave.

Wall monuments in the south & north transepts  


 

Return to previous ('Monuments') page click here  <previous> pages <1> <2>