GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Berkeley  Bitton Chipping Camden Coberley Frampton-on-Severn   Gloucester Cathedral Gloucester St Nicholas  Great
Barrington
Great Badminton Hatherop Iron Acton
Leckhampton Miserden Minchinhampton Pucklechurch St Briavels Sherborne  Shipton Moyne   Tetbury Tewkesbury Abbey Westonbirt Winterbourne
Berkeley - St Mary

Cross Slab

Berkeley Lady (late 13th Century)

 

Boy (late 13th Century)

Lady (early 14th Century)

 The above effigies are all small figures, probably heart burial; the actual bodies of the above would have been buried in St Augustine's Abbey, Bristol.

Thomas 8th Lord Berkeley (1361) & Wife
Alabaster  effigies on tomb chest where the quatrefoils are divided by strips of deep blues glass, mostly renewed in 1846.
This was the Lord Berkeley to whose care Edward II was entrusted prior to his murder.

James, 11th Lord Berkeley & second son, James
Alabaster effigies effigies on tomb chest under a stone canopy.The tomb chest has canopied niches with figures of saints and panels with quatrefoils.The effigies are of different sizes to indicate the difference in ages.

William Freme (1526) brass
Henry, 17th Lord Berkeley (1615) & Wife Alabaster effigies on stone tomb chest under alabaster canopy. By Samuel Baldwin of Stroud
John Hopton (1681) ledger stone
James Bayley (1712) tablet
Stephen Jenner (1754) ledger stone
Betty Wiltshire (1797) tablet by J Pearce of Frampton
Nicholas Hickes (1798) tablet by W Paty

John Hickes (1808) tablet by T King of Bath
Mary Tratman (1826) tablet by Dawe. There are also others by this artist
Frederick Hickes (1844) tablet by Tyler
William Ellis (1855) tablet by Tyler
The Last Lord Berkeley (1942) Tablet with heraldry flanked by Saints George and Francis. By Sir N Cooper 
In churchyard: table tomb of Thomas Pearce, watchmaker (1665)

Bitton - St Mary

Knight (13th century) head only carved in low relief over sword and shield (shown)
Lady (13th century) head only carved in low relief over foliated cross, inscription (shown)
Priest small effigy, not specified
Another effigy
Tomb of c 1300 in pieces
1657 Tablet
1697 Tablet
Rev H T Ellacome and three Wives Tablet
Servants of Above Tablet
1812 tablet by T King of Bath 

Knight ? A Clifford  (c 1300) stone on tomb chest under cusped recess (shown - right)
Lady (c 1310) stone on tomb chest under arch recess with two shields (shown - right)
Civilian (mid 14th century) stone, small under cusped recess
John Clifford (1684) Baroque tablet
Ann Wade (1687) Baroque tablet
Anthony Clifford (17th century) tablet with arms
William Clutterbuck (1727) Classical, marble
Samuel & James Pearce (1798-9) marble tablet by John Pearce
Nathaniel Clifford (1817) marble tablet with arms
Henry Barnard (1813) by T King of Bath

Frampton-on-Severn 
St Mary

Chipping Camden - St James

Sir Baptist Hicks, Lord Camden (1629) & Wife
Details. The tomb chest is black marble. By ? Nicholas Stone

Edward Noel, Viscount Campden (1642) & Juliana (1664)
Details. Alabaster figures. By Joshua Marshall

Penelope Noel (1633)
Attrib: John & Matthias Christmas

Coberley - St Giles

Sir Giles Berkeley (1294)
Heart burial; small bust of knight set in pointed oval under a niche with shafts; hands hold heart above a shield on his breast.

Sir Thomas Berkeley (1365) & Wife possibly Joan. Knight with cross legs and lady wears a wimple. Armour is c. 1340's so effigy may have been made during his life time. Joan was the mother of Dick Whittington.

Civilian (c 1340)
Young man, effigy under cinquefoil recess

Sir Giles Bridges (1511) & Isabel brass matrix with one shield remaining
Castleman Family ( late 17th century) Baroque marble tablet
Amelia Hicks (1830) Neo-Greek by Hart of Cheltenham
A good collection of 18th century headstones and chest tombs

Lady (c 1340) Small effigy of a young girl; she hold her glove; dog at feet. Perhaps a daughter of above

City of Gloucester

The Cathedral

Gloucester Cathedral is a cathedral of the New Foundation. At the Reformation it was a Benedictine Abbey
Presbytery Seabroke Chantry Chapel South Ambulatory Lady Chapel North Ambulatory
North Transept South Transept South Aisle North Aisle North Choir or Tribune Gallery


Presbytery
 
Above: Robert Duke of  Normany (1134)  Effigy: Wood - 13th C; TC: Wood -14th/15th C. Note the structure over the effigy - the 'hearse' - one of only three in the country.

Robert 'Curthose' Duke of Normandy, born about 1053,  was the eldest son of William the Conqueror by Matilda of Flanders. From his father in 1087 he inherited the Dukedom of Normandy and the County of Maine while his younger brother William Rufus inherited the Kingdom of England. Robert was a failure as a ruler but an excellent military commander  and soldier. For the next two years Robert and his Norman allies attempted to wrest England from his brother and thereafter his rule in Normandy was undermined by William and the youngest brother Henry. In 1096 he mortgaged Normandy to William for 10,000 marks so that he could take part in the First Crusade in which he excelled himself as a soldier. On his return to Europe he found that William had been killed and that Henry now ruled in England as King Henry I. Once again he attempted an invasion of England which again failed, the  brothers coming to terms at Alton, Hampshire in 1101. In 1106 Henry invaded Normandy  defeating and capturing Robert at the Battle of Tinchebrai. Thereafter Robert was held captive in comfortable circumstances mostly in Cardiff Castle. He died in his early 80's and was buried in Gloucester Cathedral
Abbot Serlo (1104) The first Norman abbot and founder of the abbey church. The effigy is about 1280 or later.
 
Seabroke Chantry Chapel
Abbot Seabroke (1457) Tombchest and alabaster effigy of a mitered abbot. He built the present tower. Francis Baber (1669)
Lady Chapel      
North Transept
John Bower (1615), wife Ann & Children. The kneeling figures are painted
Elizabeth Williams (1622), daughter of Bishop Miles Smith. Her effigy lies on its side with an infant on the pillow. By Samuel Baldwin of Stroud
Judge John Powell (1713) marble by Thomas Green of Camberwell (signed)      
Above: Bishop Goldsborough (1604) Behind his head is an inscription panel. North Chapel
Far Left:
Thomas Fitzwilliam (1579) Painting on stone; beside a plain tomb chest. Removed from St Owen's church on its destruction in 1643. South Chapel.
Centre:
Margery Clent (1623) Another daughter of Bishop Smith.  By Samuel Baldwin of Stroud.
Other Monuments
Dorothea Beale. Inscription by Eric Gill (c. 1907) on bronze tablet by Dury.
North Ambulatory
King Edward II. The effigy is of alabaster, the tomb chest of Purbeck marble and the canopy an oolitic Cotswold limestone, possibly Painswick. The construction date is about 1330.
William Parker (1539) (or William Malvern) - the last abbot. Alabaster effigy of c. 1535. He was actually buried elsewhere and a Marian and Elizabethan bishop lie below
PrinceOsric (   ) although the monument is c. 1530. He was honoured by Abbot Parker as the founder of the monastery and his sister Kyneburg the first abbess.
South Transept
Left & above: Richard Pates (1588) He was founder of Pates Grammar School in Cheltenham and builder of Matson House. The painted kneeling  Elizabethan  figures can just be made out.
Right:
Alderman Abraham Blackleech (1639) & Gertrude. Black marble tomb chest with alabaster recumbent effigies. By Epiphanius Evesham or Edward Marshall.
Other Monuments
T B Lloyd-Baker (1886) Marble bust by W S Frith
Canon Evan Evans (1891) Brass and marble tablet by Henry Wilson
Benjamin Baylis (1777) Tablet by Bryan of Gloucester
Mary Gwynne (1808) by Reeves of Bath
Canon Trotter (1913) Tablet
Canon Scobell (1917) Tablet
South Aisle
Sir George Onesiphorus Paul (1820) Marble by Sievier Alderman John Jones (1630)
Left: Mary Singleton (1761) Baroque tablet by J & J Bryan. Coloured marbles and much symbolism.
Above:
Thomas Brydges of Coberley & Wife Recumbent effigies of early 15th century on a 14th century tomb chest. In rfecessed wall tomb. SS collars.
Right: Bishop William Nicholson (1671)  Another in Baroque style. He was said to have been a fearless champion of the church during the Commonwealth.
Other Monuments
Prebenday William Adams (1798) Tablet by King of Bath
Dame Mary Strachan (1770) Portrait medallion & arms held by supportors  by Ricketts of Gloucester.
Eli Dupree (1707) Bust on broken pediment
Bishop Anthony Ellys of St David's (1761) by Ricketts of Gloucester
Hubert Parry (1918) musician
Mary Clarke (1792)
Tablet by W Stephens of Worcester
Richard Clarke (1796) Tablet by W Stephens of Worcester
John Webb of Norton Court (1795) Classical tablet by Bryan of Gloucester
Sir John Guice of Highnam (1794) Draped broken column by Millard of Gloucester
Richard Raikes (1823) Gothick by Rickman
Dr Edward Jenner statue by R. W. Sievier (1825)
North Aisle
Alderman Thomas Machen,  Christian & Children (c 1615)
Perhaps by Samuel Baldwin of Stroud
Sarah Morley (1784) she died at srea on a passage from India. By Flaxman Canon E D Tinling (1897) Kneeling figure before Christ; in  bronze and semi-precious stonesby Henry Wilson Abraham Rudhall (1798), Charles Rudhall (1815) & Sarah Rudhall (1805) Bell makers Note the 3 bells
Other Monuments
Bishop Martin Benson (1725)
Charles Brandon Trye (1811)
Bust in medallion
Rudge Family Tablet by Millard
Col. Edward Webb (1839) Gothick mourning female by H Hopper
Ralph Bigland (1784) Garter Principle King of Arms. Classical
Bishop Warburton (1779) by King of Bath
Samuel Hayward of Wallsworth Hall (1790) Classical by Bryan of Gloucester
Hester Gardner (1822) Classical by James Cooke
Ivor Gurney (1937) poet & musician by Bryant Fedden
North Choir (Tribune) Gallery
William Lisle (1723) by John Ricketts the Elder of Gloucester Bishop Martin Benson, bishop 1734-52 Thomas Ware & Family (no date) with Greek and Latin Inscriptions
St Nicholas (Westgate Street)
Now under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust

Above: Samuel Baldwin (1645) Carver. Possibly by Stephen Baldwin
Left:
Revd Richard Green (1711) age 21 & brother

Above: John Belvezeb(1708) a French advocate. '...being protestant was forced out of his country...'

Above: John Walton (1626), alderman & Alice (1620) Attrib. to Samuel Baldwin
Susanah Jordan (1685) Margaret Gray (no date) Jane Fox (1657) William Window (1669) & family  Thomas Withenbery (1720) Carpenter & wife Sarah (1730) 
William Cowcher (1785) & family  Francis Reeve (1715) & family  Joseph Reeve (1716) carver & wife Sarah (1714)  John Deighton (1676) surgeon & wife Mary (1684)  Toby Bullock (1641) & family 
Thomas Nickols (1718) & family  Gadriel Harris (1744) & wife Susan (1742)  Margaret Seys (1651)  Mary Lloyd (1703) 



Great Badminton - St Michael
1st Duchess of Beauford (1715) Moved here from the previous church 1st Duke of Beauford (1700) by Grinling Gibbons. This monument was moved from St George's Chapel, Windsor when the Beaufords fell out with Queen Victoria
2nd and 3rd Dukes by Rysbrack (1754) 4th Duke (1756)  by Rysbrack


Captain Edmund Bray (1620)
Behind organ
Great Barrington - St Mary

Mary Countess Talbot (1787)
by Joseph Nollekens


Captain Cecil John Talbot Rhys Wingfield (1915)



 Jane (1711) & Edward (1720)  Bray
Both died of small pox. Attributed to Christopher Cass


James Stephens (1692) & sons John & James
Attributed to Thomas Cartwright the Elder
Hatherop - St Nicholas
Barbara Lady de Mauley (1844) by Raffaelle Monti
Iron Acton - St James

Sir John Poyntz (1376) ? (shown)
Lady (early 15th C) (shown)
Robert Poytz (1439) and wives Anne & Katherine.  3 incised slabs
Canopied Tomb (early 16th C) (shown)
William Machin (1716) Classical tab
Mary Senior (1814) By Tyler
Thomas Richardson (1834) By Tyler
Bluett Jones (1836) By O Greenaway
John Alway (1842) By J Thomas of Bristol

Leckhampton - St Peter

Sir John Giffard (1327) & Wife. Note the 'breast chains' on Sir John's coat armour, attaching the sword hilt and scabbard. Not in situ.

Priest (late 15th or early 16 th C)
He holds a chalice

Slabs in the church yard: there are four effigial slabs of the 13th & 14th century.

Civilian & Lady

Sepulchral Slabs

 Some 19th Century Wall Monuments:

William Joseph Gale
(1877 age 19)
Died near Nazareth
'He fell among robbers'

Frances Money Evans (26), Fanny Rolanda (11) & Frederick Lloyd Gambier (11 m)
- see below

John Howden Commander RN (1845)
Rachel Howden (1861)

his widow

Jones

Mjr Edward Nevil MacReady 30th Reg.
No Date

Charles Whitmore (1844)

The Evans monument says that these were the wife and children of Mjr Henry Lloyd Evans of the XVII Regiment Bombay Infantry, who all died in 1857 at Cawnpoor by a fall of the barracks roof, struck by cannon shot on the 16th day of the siege. Her brother Henry Fitz Roy Gambier, Lt in the 38th Regiment Bengal Light Infantry, who was mortally wounded at the assault of Delhi, 1857

Minchinhampton - Holy Trinity

Two coffin lids (12 or 13th century) with incised crosses (shown)
Knight (? John of Ansley) (c 1340) under Decorated tomb recess (shown)
Lady (? Lucy, wife of above) wimple & veil, feet on dog. Under Decorated tomb recess(shown)
Civilian & Lady (c 1500) brass
John Hampton (1556?) & Ellen brass: cadavers in shrouds. Two groups of children: six sons, the eldest a monk and six daughters, the eldest a nun. Engraved c. 1510
Edward Halyday (1519) & Margery brass; he was a clothier of Rodborough

Jeremiah Buck (mid 17th century) with bogus heraldry; a Parliamentarian
Joseph Iles (1749) tablet by Robert Chambers
James Bradley (1762) oval brass plate to the Astronomer Royal
Edward Sheppard of Gatcombe (1798) tablet by Bryan
Walter Butt (1788) tablet of coloured marbles
Samuel Shepperd (1770) tablet with putto, urn & escutcheon by Ricketts
Many 17th and 18th century Baroque chest tombs in the church yard, including that of James Bradley (above) from which the brass plate was removed.

Miserden - St Andrew

Anthony Partridge (1625) & Alice (Cartwright) Possibly by Samuel Baldwin

Above: William Kingston (1644) 'He was the best continual housekeeper and the best beloved Gentleman in this County' Probably by Samuel Baldwin. His feet rest on a goat eating a cabbage.
Right: Sir Edwin Windsor Haynten Sandys (1838)
                
William (1640) and Margaret (Culpepper) (1644) Sandys Their children kneel or recline around the tomb chest. Alabaster . Probably by Samuel Baldwin. The inscription is high up on the wall on the west but the accountrements have been removed.

 Pucklechurch
St Thomas of Canterbury

Lady (c 1325) under later canopy. Said to have been erected in 1888 when effigy may have been rescued from the churchyard. (shown)
Civilian (c 1360) again under similar canopy. Excellent condition.
The above are said to be William de Cheltenham (ob after 1361) & Eleanor.
John Dennis (1638) Renaissance marble tab. with heraldry
Epitaph (17th C) to an unamed deaf woman by Thomas Cam
Thomas Ridley (1714) Baroque marble
Edward Hathway (1798) Tab with draped urn by James, Dunn & Drewett of Bristol.
Sherborne - St Mary Magdelene
Sir John Dutton (1743) by J M Rysbrack (1749) signed Frances Princess Bariatinsky (1807) by John Bacon the Younger. She died in childbirth.
James Lenox Dutton (1776) & second wife Jane (1776) By Richard Westmacott the Elder (1791) John Dutton (1656) by Thomas Burman (1661) signed. Compare the John Donne monument by Nicholas Stone in St Paul's Cathedral William Naper (1791) by John Bacon the Elder (1794) signed
Far left: James, 1st Lord Sherbourne (1820) & his wife Elizabeth (1824) by W Theed (1859). Marble figure of Hope
Centre Top:
James Bradley (1762) Astronomer Royal, born in Sherborne. But by Kevin Paul (1993)
Centre Bottom:
Mary Laura Dutton (1902)
Above: HonCharles Dutton (1909) Alabaster

St Briavels
 
  St Mary

14th C Slab (shown)
William Warren, Wife & Children (16th C), Semi-reclining.
Charles Court (1819) Tab by Woolcott of Bristol

 

Shipton Moyne - St John the Baptist

A Le Moyne (mid 14th C)
Note the bascinet and plate. NE Recess, Chancel

Le Moyne Knight (NW Recess) and Lady (opposite S)  (early 14th C) both in chancel

Judge Thomas Estcourt (1599) & Wife
Nine children kneeling frontally are shown on two sides. Above is a canopy with caryatids and heraldry (Estcourt Chapel)

Other Monuments
Chancel Estcourt Chapel North Transept North Aisle South Aisle

Rev William Hodges (1740) Tablet

Sir Thomas Estcourt (1624) &  Mary
c 1640 by Samuel Baldwin
Alabaster t.c. with canopy on Corinthian columns. Moved from Lasborough in 1825

Thomas Estcourt  (1818)  Tablet by W Croggan

Elizabeth Nowell (1788) Tablet

 Thomas Estcourt (1746) standing monument with Ionic columns and cartouche

Rev George Wheeler (1839) Tablet by Reeves & Son of Bath

Eleanor Estcourt (1829) by Joseph Edwards to a design by T H Wyatt

Jane Estcourt (1829) Tablet

Edmund Estcourt (1814) Tablet by Henry Westmacott

Rev Walter Hodges (1757)  Tablet

 

Walter Estcourt RN (1845) died returning home from Africa

   

Two  brasses of 1853-55

Tetbury - St Mary

Left: 2 Medieval  Male Civilians dug up from churchyard in 1902. That on the right  is mid 14th C.
Above: Military effigy of c. 1300, said to be William de Braose.

Wall Monuments: Sir William Romney (1611) with bust. By Thomas Webb (1776)
John Savage (1803) Draped urn by Jones, Dunn & Tyley of Bristol
Gilbert Gastrell (1732) coloured marbles and cherubs, surrounded by five - 1755-1810 -  (reset) by T King of Bath
Joseph & Elizabeth Wickes (1764) by T Webb
Henry Harvey (1789) by William Paty of Bristol
John Paul (1787) by T King
Deborah Roche (1720) Cartouche by Parsons
Sanders Family by Lancaster & Walker of Bristol
Knight & Lady of Gastrell Family effigies

Tewkesbury Abbey
Ambulatory  Nave North Choir Aisle South Choir Aisle
Nave


Above & top: Mid 14th century knight under contemporary arch. An early example of 'straight legs.'
Then from left to right:
Kenhelm Chandler (1809) Neo-Greek marble tablet by Gardner of Tewkesbury 1833
Humphrey Brown (1860)
Not legible, possibly Tayler
Charles Wynde (1716)
Marble
There are numerous other wall monuments in the nave - and elsewhere - which will be recorded later.
South Choir Aisle

Left & above:
Right:
Below left & centre top:
Abbot Alan (1202) the biographer of Thomas Becket
Below right & centre bottom:
Abbot Robert Forthington (1254) Purbeck marble coffin slab with small figure in low relief within the head of a foliated cross; ogee canopy.
  
Edward Lord Despenser's (1375) Chantry chapel - or Trinity Chapel. On the left is the entrance to the chapel from the choir aisle; the structure surmounting the chapel houses a kneeling figure of a knight (right), a very unusual attitude in medieval monuments. Above is the interior of the chapel showing fan vaulting and wall painting.
Above:Abbot Cheltenham (abbot 1481-1509) Altar tomb with four panels with quatrefoils bearing shields; canopy with shields, scallop shells and pilgrim's staves.
Right:
Elizabeth Townsend
Far Right:
Mrs Craik



Above & centre top: Hugh Despenser (ex. 1325) much mutilated tomb as the canopied niches contained many images. The coffin is however of:-
John Cotes (abbot 1328-47) Purbeck marble
Far right & centre bottom:
Tomb with crocketed ogee cinquefoil arch. This and the previous tomb are at the back of the sedilia.
Ambulatory
Above: Archdeacon Robeson (1912) Altar tomb with effigy by Bryant Baker.

Left:
Laetitia Hale 
Right:
R Eaton

Above, left & right: 'Wakeham' Cenotaph' (mid 15th C ie a century earlier than John Wakeham, the last Abbot who died in 1549). The cadaver is placed on the hollow altar tomb rather than, as is the usual practice, below; it lies in a open shroud, crawling with vermin - a gruesome sight. The canopy is said to have been copied for the throne of the House of Lords.

Below & below left & right: Hugh, Baron Despenser (1348) & Elizabeth Montague (1359) Recumbent alabaster effigies.  Armour contemporary with time of his death. Fine canopy.

 
 
North Choir Aisle              North Transept


Guy de Brien (1390) He married the widowed Elizabeth in 1350. Standard bearer to Edward III at Crécy. Canopy with remains of colouring and gilding. Effigy appears to come from same Flemish school as Edward Lord Despenser, so prepared before his death.
Left: From St Margaret's Chapel
Right: From the north choir aisle

Joseph Reeve (1651) artist, stone and slate Baroque tablet

Above, left & right: Chantry Chapel of Robert Fitzhamon (1107) He was the founder of the Abbey though the chapel dates from about 1395. A very fine example of the perpendicular.                    Left: 'The Founder's Chantry' from the north choir aisle
Right: The same from the choir
Above: Tomb chest in the Founder's Chantry, showing inlays for lost brasses.

Far right: Ann, Lady Clarke (ob 1800) White marble slab flanked by Faith and Charity; by  Flaxman
   
 
Beauchamp Chapel built about 1430 by Isabel Despenser, Countess of Warwick as a chantry chapel for her first husband Richard Beauchamp (1421). The chapel is of two storeys and the upper may once have contained the kneeling figures of Isabel and her two husbands.

Please note that the section on Tewkesbury Abbey is incomplete and will be revised, completed and the photographs replaced with more satisfactory ones in due course.
The following monuments, described in Pevsner, have not yet been added:

Dr George Peyton (1742) Classical marble tablet by Thomas White of Worcester. (ambulatory0
John Roberts of Fiddington (1631) half length upright effigy (north transept)
Thomas Collins (1900) builder; alabaster tablet with portrait in low relief. (south transept)
Mann Family Classical marble tablet with cherubs heads and torches by Richard Squire of Worcester, 1749 (south transept)
 

 
Westonbirt - St Catherine
NB This church is now the chapel of a girls' school and is open but infrequently to the general public
Above: Robert Holford (1838) & George Holford (1839) by R. Westmacott the Younger Marble
Right: Robert Stayner Holford (1892) alabaster effigy. Possibly by W S Frith

Winterbourne - St Michael

Agnes Bradeston (1369) ? brass of lady, 4' 5"(shown)
Sir Robert Bradeston (c 1356) ? & Lady Effigies.  l. He cross legged. Badge of head of fish by his L shoulder. (N wall of chapel) (shown)
Sir Edmund Bradeston & Lady (c 1395) straight legs. Bristol school ( shown)
LadyAgnes (14th C) (shown)
Knight (late 14th C) cross legs. under  cinqfoil canopy. (shown)
Mathew (1631) & Thomas (1658) Buck brass inscip.
James Buck (1612) Tomb chest with Renaissance detail, canopy
Amy Symes (1662) Renaissance monument
Arthur Tucker (1785) Tab by T Paty
Thomas Mountjoy (1797) by Emett of Downend
William Perry (1807) by Wood of Bristol
William Rickards (1827) & Thomas Whitfield (1834) By O Greenway
Mary Brydges (1826) by T Clark of Bristol


Wotton under Edge
The Old Town Meeting House
Click here for text of the memorials found in the Old Town Meeting House

With many thanks to founder-member Sally Badham for supplying most of the photographs in this section. Also to Jean MacCreanor for those in Miserden. Those in Gloucester Cathedral and several other churches were kindly sent by Joan & Robert Tucker: to whom grateful thanks. The etchings are by Stothard.

Return to previous ('Monuments') page click here