BRISTOL

 All Saints - Corn Street      Bristol Cathedral Christ Church, Broad Street Holy Trinity, Trinity Road
St James's, Whitson Street  St John the Baptist, Tower Lane St Mark's or Lord Mayor's Chapel  St Mary Redcliffe
St Michael's, St Michael's Hill St Nicholas's, High Street St Paul's, Portland Square  St Phillip's & St Jacobs, Narrow Plain
St Stephen's, St Stephen's Avenue St Thomas      

The Cathedral
Cathedral Church of the Holy & Undivided Trinity
(originally Abbey of St Augustine)

(no entrance fee; no charge for photography but contributions always welcome please!)
(A very friendly cathedral but easy to set off alarms!)

Note: Bristol Cathedral is a Cathedral of the New Foundation, that is, one of the several cathedrals that was founded - or refounded - by Henry VIII at the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Before then the church we now know as the cathedral was not a cathedral at all (so not the seat of a bishop) but rather an Augustinian Abbey, that is, a monastery of Canons Regular - priests who lived under the rule of St Augustine and who were presided over by an Abbot. The see was founded in 1542: a bishop was installed (see below) and the cathedral itself administered by a Dean and Chapter of  Secular Canons - priests not living under a monastic rule - which is more or less the situation today. This explains some of the monuments found both here and at Wells.

Eastern Lady Chapel North Chancel Aisle North Transept Elder Lady Chapel South Transept
 Newton Chapel South Chancel Aisle Nave and Aisles The Cloisters

Eastern Lady Chapel

Abbot Newberry (1483)
Abbot 1428-1473

Abbot Hunt (1481)
Abbot 1473-1481

Abbot Newland (1515)
Abbot 1481-1415

North Chancel Aisle


Bishop Paul Bush (1558)
He was concecrated as the First Bishop of Bristol in 1542 but deprived by royal decree (Mary Tudor) in 1554 for being married. He retired to the Rectory of Winterbourne where some sources say he is buried. However most sources state that he and his wife were buried in the Cathedral. Cadaver effigy.


Robert Southey
(1843)

Portrait Bust by Baily 

Robert Codrington (1618) & Wife
Figures kneel at prayer desk flanked by angels

'William the Surveyor'
Coffin lid (not in situ) with foliated cross and  inscription written  in Lombardic characters and in Norman French:
William the Surveyor lies here - God on his soul have mercy. Amen.
He may have been surveyor when the Elder Lady Chapel was built - c 1220

Jane Campbell (ob1817) by Jabez Tyler


Mrs Mary Mason (ob 1767)

Medallion with figures on sarcophagus
By John Bacon


William Powell (ob 1769)
By J Paine A seated Genius holds a portrait medallion.
Several minor wall monuments can be seen


George Forrest Browne (1833-1930)
48th Bishop 1897-1914
Bronze bust 

There are many minor wall monuments in most  parts of the Cathedral, especially the cloisters, which have not been included in this survey.

North Transept

Abbot David (1216-1234)
Tomb slab with head above a cross, both carved in low relief: one of the arms of the cross can just be made out. Very worn.


Major W. Gore (1814)
By Tyler


Above: Frederick John Fargus 'Hugh Conway' (ob 1885)
Below: Mary Carpenter (ob1877)
Both signed by Havard Thomas


Bishop Joseph Butler DCL (ob 1752)


Peter Maze (ob 1849)
A Bristol Merchant 

Elder Lady Chapel
(accesible from the North Transept)


Maurice 9th Lord Berkeley (ob 1368)
& his Mother Margaret

(1st Wife of Thomas)
This monument lies between the Elder Lady Chapel and the North Transept but is best seen from the latter. Arms carved on 'jupon'

South Transept


Emma Craufuird (1823)
By Sir Charles Chantry


Bishop Gray (1834)
By Baily


Joseph Lowrey (1806)


George Rogers (1840)
Solicitor & for 50 years Chapter Clerk

Laura Josephine (1839-1843)
Charles Roper
(1845-185-)
Laura Henrietta
(1857-185-)
Malwyn

By T. Tyler Bristol 

Newton Chapel
(accessible from the South Transept)

South Chancel Aisle



Maurice II, Lord Berkeley (1281)

Note that this effigy has staight legs and
 the carved heraldry on the shield;
 both fairly unusual.
Designation is unconfirmed



Thomas, Lord Berkeley (1321)

Note that in contrast that this effigy
has crossed legs but it also has carved heraldry.
Again the designation is unconfirmed
Fought at Evesham and Bannockburn.

Thomas, Lord Berkeley (1321) & Joan (1309)

Harriet Isabella (1826) & John Middleton
By Edward Baily


William Brame Elwyn (1841)
by Edward Baily
Mary Brame Elwyn (1818)


Top: view from South Chancel Aisle
Below: view from Berkeley Chapel
 (accessible from this aisle) 

 

Nave and Aisles

Dame Joan (1603) & Sir John Young
By Samuel Baldwin. She recumbent. This and the Vaughan monument (right) are to the North and South of the West Door repectively.

Sir Charles Vaughan (1630)
This and the monument to the left were originally elsewhere but moved to this position when the nave was completed at the end of the 19th century.

Dean Gilbert Elliot (1891)
He was Dean 1850-91. The effigy is by James Nesfield Forsyth
The monuments of the two deans are in niches in at the east of the North & South Aisles repectively.

Dean Francis Pigou (1916)
He was Dean 1891-1916, succeeding Dean Elliot. The effigy is by N A Tren


The Cloisters

Eleanor Daniel (1774)

A A Henderson (1807)

Elizabeth Draper
By John Bacon
(signed 'J Bacon fecit London 1780')

Elizabeth Cookson (1852)

Elizabeth Gouldwhite (1793)


top of page

St Mark's or Lord Mayor's Chapel
(Opposite the Cathedral)

(Open: Tuesdays to Saturdays 10am to 12noon & 1pm to 4 pm)
(Futher information from the Verger: 0117 929 4350)
NB At the present time - 2008 - it is very difficult - if not impossible - to gain access to this church. This is most unfortuante and  regrettable

A rare peculiar, this is a church not subject to diocese jurisdiction. It was the chapel to a hospital , a religious foundation, but the latter was dissolved by Henry VIII and the church sold to the City Council who still own and administer it. The hospital was refounded as Queen Elizabeth's School. The relationship of the chapel with the diocese makes fascinating history.
The church is orientated north-south, rather than the normal east-west; however for clarity (church crawlers assume the altar is at the east and do not normally consult a compass!)  the information below is written as if the church were orientated in the usual fashion.

Nave

Thomas Harris (ob 1797)
He was merchant and alderman of Bristol. The monument also commemorates Mercy (ob 1819), his widow, who later married James Sutton. Below is added the above James Sutton (ob 1824)
(N Wall)

William Birdie (ob 1590)
Mayor of Bristol, Benefactor of Queen Elizabeth's Hospital. Note the State Sword below the epitaph.  
(N Wall - W End) 

Sir Richard Berkeley (ob 1602)
Ward of Henry VIII, Lt of Tower, High Sheriff & Deputy Lt of Gloucestershire. Alabaster.  
(S Wall - W End)

Some Wall Monuments in the Nave: 

Left Top: George Adderly (ob1786) & Charlotte (daughter) (ob 1775 aged 15 ); both buried in a vault below the monument.
Left Bottom: James Gibbs JP  (ob 1855) ; he was Mayor in 1842.
Right: John Bates (ob 1869) Local bank manager, city councillor & Mayor in 1859
Top: Revd John Hakesworth LLD (1866) Head Master of Queen Elizabeth's Hospital

Chancel





Left & CentreTop: Sir Maurice (ob 1464) & Lady Ellen Berkeley. Right & Centre Bottom: Bishop Miles (or Milo) Salley (ob 1516) of Landaff.  Both on N Wall.

South Aisle


Tomb Chest (said to be: John Carr,
Founder of Queen Elizabeth's Hospital)
(N Wall)

Thomas James (ob 1619)
MP, Alderman, Sheriff of Bristol in 1591, Mayor in 1605 & 1614
(W End - N Wall)

A Merchant (c 1360)
The tomb chest is 15th Century. (S Wall)

John Cookin (ob 1627, age 11)
S. Wall

Henry Bengough (ob 1818)
Alderman and founder of
almhouses which carry his name.
By: Chantry
(W. Wall)

William Halliard (ob 1735)
By Thomas Parry
(S. Wall)

Sir John Kerle
Haberfield (ob 1857)

 six time mayor of the city
By Tyley
S Wall W End

Wall Monuments in the South Aisle

'Beneath lyeth the body of'
Catharine Vaughan
(ob 1694)
and her son George
(ob 1701)

'Infra Iacet'
Henry Blaake (ob 1731)

'In a vault in the chancel of this church lie interred the reamains of'...
Catherine Camplin (ob 1831)  and her husband
Thomas Camplin (1856) Alderman

'Near this place lyeth'
Henry Walter (ob 1727)
Mayor & Alderman
and his wife
Mary (ob 1742)

 'Underneath the cross in Bedminster church are interred the remains of'
Thomas Hassell (ob 1829) Alderman JP and his wife: Rachel (ob1822)

(right)
'In a vault near the communion table of this chapel are deposited the several remains of '
John Casberd DD (ob1803)
Vicar of StAugustine's in the city and of Tickenham and Portbury
His wife Elizabeth (ob 1802) Their daughters Elizabeth Frances (ob1770 age 1) and Mary Ann (ob 1774 age 9 month) .
(All  S Wall except Henry Walter - N Wall)


George Upton (ob 1608)
(N. Wall)

South Aisle - or St Andrew's - Chapel

Two Military Effigies (c. 1300)
Locally said to be of Maurice de Gaunt ( ob 1230) and Robert de Gournay (ob 1269). the co-founders of the hospital and chapel.

William Swift (ob 1622)
(N. Wall)

Sir Baynham (ob 1664) & Lady Throkmorton (ob 1635) Between the couple, who hold hands,  is a baby in swaddling clothes who died with the mother.(N. Wall) 

Elizabeth James (ob 1599)
(N Wall)





John Aldworth (ob 1615)
& son Francis (ob 1623
)
John was Sheriff of Bristol and
 a benefactor of Queen Elizabeth's School
(N Wall)

Above and Right Lower and Second from Bottom

 Dame Mary Baynton (ob 1667) & Two Sons

top of page

Saint Mary Redcliffe

(church normally open; no charge for entry or photography)
(close to Templemedes Station) 

Nave -South Aisle

Tower or St John's Chapel 

John Lavyngton (1411)
inscription on slab below feet

Above: Grave slab with cross
Left Lower: Coffin with missing slab 
Far Right: Richard Sandford (1721)other wall monuments are shown.
There are many more in this location.   
Right: Admiral Sir AWilliam Penn

His tombstone is in the South Transept. He was father of William Penn, the Quaker.

 South Transept

Said to be the almoner of William Canynge. Note the purse and large dog with a big bone; unusually only a single angel.

 

William Canynge (ob 1467)
He was a wealthy Bristol merchant and a benefactor to the church. On the death of his wife he took holy orders.
Left: Tomb and effigies of William Canynge the Younger  & Maud
Right: Hollis's etching of William Canynge's effigy
Top Right: Detail of effigies
Top Left: William Canynge as Dean of Westbury; alabaster
Top: Detail of this effigy
Made 1460-65
Below: Details of the effigies

Grave slab of cook; a knife can be seen of the right and there is a ladle on the left.
Inscription

Hannah Hughes (1799)
Wife of Bristol Distiller

North Transept

North Chancel Aisle

Left & Left Lower
Thomas Mead  (ob 1475) & Wife
note the fragmentary brass inscription
Below & Central Lower,
 his brother
Philip Mede (1491) & Wife

Effigy said to be that of Robert de Berkeley who gave a freshwater spring to the church

     
Brasses Not Recorded
Sir John Inyn (1439) Lady Chapel N Corner under carpet. 3' 6" Figure set in Purbeck Marble slab. Lead inlays.  Inscriptions in Latin and heraldry. He was Recorder of Bristol, Chief Baron of the Exchequer, Judge of the Common Pleas and later Justice of the King's Bench
John Jay (1480) & Johanna or Joan Chancel south side under carpet. 3' Figures with Canopy and Kneeling Children (6 sons, 8 daughters). Heraldry. Civilians. He was a Bristol merchant, bailiff and later sheriff.
John Brooke (1522) & Johanna  Chancel north side under carpet. 3' Figures. He was sergeant-at-law and Justice of Assize. Insciption and heraldry
The following two brasses were rescued from Bristol's Temple Church after damage following enemy bombing in 1940. Although put away for safe keeping, the dissappeared after the war but rediscovered in 1965. They are now on the wall of the saouth ambulatory.
Civilian (c. 1396) upper part of body only. Insciption.
Priest/ Civilian Female - Pamlisest.  (c 1460) The priest wears choir vestments.  The lady's brass is unfinished.
top of page

St James's - Whitson Street
In 1984 this C of E church became redundant but was reopened by the Little Brothers of Nazareth in 1993 as as a RC monastic church..
Photographs Ó Julian Lee-Jones and used with permission. With thanks to the photographer and to Rob Harding for sending them to me
   
The Victorian brass records the burials in the church of Robert, Earl of Glouceter, illegitimate son of King Henry I
Sir Charles Somerset (1598), his wife Eme (1590) and Daughter, Elizabeth (1609) Henry Gibbes (1636) Brass plate in stone surround with kneeling figures of family. Martha Noble (1754) and her husband John Noble, alderman  Thomas Edwards (1727)
 
Rev Thomas Tregonna Biddulph (1842) Bust By Baily (1842)
Martha (1608) & Andrew (1687) Hooke Thomas (1689) & Eliz. Hicks (1694) son and daughter of Thomas Hicks. Also the aforementioned Thomas Hickes (1716) & Martha (1719) Note the appearance of the 'e' Mary Edwards (1736), her husband Walter (1758) and his sister Jane (___)
Sir James Russel (1674) 'late of Nevis one of the first settlers of that island' He was later appointed governor Henry Digton (1673) Brewer. '...who gave five pounds ᵱ annum for ever to be beſosed on ten coates & given to ten poore men of this parish not receaving almes yearely against winter' Also Judith (1721) and her husband George Digton, eldest son of the above. Also Henry Foot (1741), their son Joan Wood (1713); her two sons Joseph (170_) & Sam.l. (1708). Morgan Smith (1715)& his widow Eliz (1725) daughter of Joan Wood, above. Their six sons: Thomas (1698), Humphry (1698), John (1705), Sam.l. (17__) & Anthony (1718); their four daughters: Joanna (172_), Hester (1712), Mary (Cooper) (172_), Sarah (172_)  Also Cornelius Lyde (1721), Susanna 1792) wife of James Calwell, merchant; __ey (1730) wife of Nat.l. Narr___, Merchant
top of page
All Saints - Corn Street


Left & Above: Edward Colston (1721)  Designed by Gibbs; carved by Rysbrack but signed by Sidnell (1729)
Other Monuments Not Shown:
Sarah Colston (1701)
Mrs Tooth Blisset (1805)  By Flaxman
Many with unusual urns




St Philip & St Jacob's
Narrow Plain

Head of knight, early 14th C (S Wall of N Chapel)
Effigy of knight, upper half, c 1470 (N Chapel)
Henry Merrett (1692) Frontal 3/4 figure in oval niche. Angels in top spandrels; skulls in lower.
John Foy (1771) Obelisk with portrait medallion. Below relief of female with children. By James Pary Jnr
William Day (1832) Gothic tabernacle Designed by S C Fripp; carved by J Thomas

St John the Baptist
Tower Lane

A Merchant (c 1510) and Two Wives. Incised slab  on TC.  In crypt
A Merchant (c 1550) and Wife alabaster effigies on TC. In crypt
Walter Frampton (1388)  shown    
Thomas Rowley (1478) & Wife  brasses 1' 10"     
Andrew Innes (1723) Tablet with 2 flanking colums and angels' head. Signed by Rysbrack.
In the church yard (Taylor's Court):

Hugh Browne (1653) & Wife recumbent effigies on two  tier tomb on the front of which are kneeling figures of their son and four daughters

St Michael - St Michael's Hill

Joseph Percival (1764) Three female figures against obelisk; the middle holds a portrait medallion. Neo-Classical.
Mary Stretton (1794) Female leaning on urn. By William Paty

St Thomas  

Several minor wall monuments

St Nicholas - High Street

The church is now the offices of Bristol & Regional Archaeological services.

John Whitson (1629)
Above is T Clark's 19th century copy of the figure which originally stood in the porch. Below is the original figure which is flanked by pilasters carrying an arch.
Also: Daniel Woodward (1755) Urn & obelisk

Christ Church - Broad Street

Thomas Holmes (1772) Seated female holds urn. By John Paty


top of page

St Stephen  - St Stephen's Avenue

Edmund Blanket (1370) & Wife
He was a wealthy clothier and is supposed to have given his name to the blanket. 

Walter Tyddesley (or Tididstille) (1385)
He was MP for the city the year of his death.

Sir George Snygge (1617)  
Alabaster ; Cartouche with allegorical figures.  By ? S Baldwin

Martin Pringe (1627) Note the mermaid and merman with death symbols and anchor

Also - Robert  Kitchen (1594) Brass plate with kneeling figures in stone frame.
There are also many late 18th and early 19th C tablets in the church.

St Paul
Portland Square

Colonel Thomas Vassal (1807)  Seated winged Victory in front of black obelisk; shield inscribed Mentevedo;  palm tress and flag. By Rossi to a design by Flaxman.
Several tablets with urns 

Holy Trinity  Trinity Road
 St Philips

 This wall monument was moved from the church to the Police Station opposite when the latter was closed and is now on public display in the entrance

 The inscription reads:
In Memory of Richard Hill
Police Contable of this City
who was murdered whilst in the
execution of his duty in Gloucester Lane
24th April 1869 Aged 31 years.
And was interred in Arnos Vale Cemetery



top of page

Several of the photographs of this page have been kindly provided by Phil Draper of Church Crawler

Return to previous ('Monuments') page click here