Church Monuments Society
The Society is a registered charity. No.279597 Registered Office: The Society of Antiquaries, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London. W1V 0HS Copyright (c) 2016 CMS. All rights reserved.
Charles Alfred Stothard was the eldest surviving son of the artists and illustrator
Thomas Stothard RA and was born in London on 5th July 1786. In 1802 he accompanied
he father in a visit to Burleigh where the latter was working and he suggested to
his son that he might pass the time drawing the monuments in the nearby churches
as a useful authority in designing costume; this was the beginning of a life long
interest. On leaving school in 1807 he enrolled as a student at the Royal Academy,
where he resolved to become a historical painter. In 1811 he exhibited there a picture
of the death of Richard II and in the same year published the first part of the Monumental
Effigies of Great Britain, a work primarily designed to portray the changes in English
costume from the twelfth century until the reign of Henry VIII. The work was issued
in twelve parts of which the first ten were prepared by Stothard himself although
the last two, issued after his death, involved the work of other artists. The letterpress
was supplied by his brother-
In 1815 Stothard was employed by Daniel Lysons to make drawings for the topographical work Magna Britannia; this was a series of profusely illustrated county volumes which, in fact, were never to be completed. To this effect Stothard journeyed through Northern England and, in his absence, Lysons procured him the appointment of historical draftsman to the Society of Antiquaries. In 1816 he was commissioned by the Society to journey to France to make drawings of the Bayeux Tapestry and during his stay visited the abbey of Fontevraud, then a prison, where he discovered the four Plantagenet effigy in a 'cellar' which probably refers to the well known medieval kitchen.
In 1818 Stothard married Anna Eliza Kemp (1790-
In 1821 Stothard received a commission from Daniel Lysons to prepare some drawings
for the Devonshire volume of his work. His wife was pregnant with their first child
so he travelled from London to Devon alone, carrying in his pocket a note from her
He spent the following day, Saturday, travelling and on Sunday afternoon reached Bere Ferrers, where he was to make drawings of the medieval stained glass in the east window of the chancel of St Andrew's, the parish church. The rector, Revd Henry Hobart, was in the church yard when Stothard arrived and not only gave him permission to work in the church but invited him to stay at the rectory until the work was completed. Stothard walked over to the church on Monday morning after breakfast to begin work. Mr Hobart had borrowed a ladder from a local gardener so that the artist could see the medieval glass in the window more closely.
The chancel of Bere Ferrers Church. Charles Stothard would have set his ladder on the left side of the window. The monument on which he struck his head can be seen to the left. The brass plaque is on the floor below the flowers.
The Rector had arranged for his curate, Mr Servante, to take Stothard to the church and to stay for a short time to ensure the artist had everything he required.
At 2.00 pm the Curate returned to find the work half completed and the ladder still in its original position at the south side of the altar, but Stothard indicated that he would shortly move it to the opposite side to complete the drawing. Dinner had been arranged at the rectory at 5.00 pm and about that time Mr Hobart was visited by a local doctor; as the doctor left he asked him to look in at the church to remind the artist of the dining arrangement, probably thinking that the artist had become so engrossed in his work that he had overlooked this. The doctor found Stothard lying on the floor near the altar, a rung from the still upright ladder having broken; the artist had fallen ten feet, striking his head on the base slab on which a monumental effigy lies. The artist died within three minutes of the doctor having found him.
Mr Hobart set about tracing the family of the dead man. He found in his pocket an envelope with the name of a London publisher, Thomas Cadell, to whom he wrote detailing what had happened. Two days later the publishers replied indicating that Thomas Stothard, Charles' father, had that morning left London for Plymouth. The gardener was a man of heavy build and explained that he had used the ladder a number of times immediately before he had lent it to the Rector. The subsequent inquest was a mere formality.
Charles Stothard was buried in the church yard at Bere Ferrers on 4th June 1821,where his stone may still be seen below the east window of the chancel . As can be seen from the photograph, it now merely rests on the ground, being fixed to the church wall by two metal (aluminium?) clamps, which recently replaced the earlier badly corroding iron ones. Examination shows that the lower part of the stone was originally set into the ground.
There are several stones around the church walls in a similar condition, all of which indicated that the stone is probably not in situ. I have not discovered any records which indicate where the burial might have been. Unfortunately the soft limestone of the stone has not weathered well and the inscription is now very difficult to read and in places totally obliterated. The slate stones on either side and of a much earlier date are still in excellent condition.
However Rogers writing in (or slightly before) 1877, that is only fifty years after
the burial, describes the stone -
Fortunately a transcript of the inscription is recorded in Monumental Effigies and is reproduced below.
Anna Stothard gave birth to a daughter, Blanche, on 29th June 1821 so soon after the death of her husband. Sadly Blanche died the following year on 2nd February 1822.
Sacred to the memory, dear to every friend who knew him, of Charles Alfred Stothard,
Historical Draughtsman and Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, eldest surviving
son of Thomas Stothard RA. While pursuing his professional researches in the adjoining
church, he was unfortunately killed by a fall, on the 28th May in the year of our
Lord 1821, in the 34th year of his age. As a laborious investigator of the ancient
sepulchral monuments and other historical vestiges of the kingdom which he illustrated
by his faithful and elegant pencil, he was pre-
* * *