Church Monuments Society

CMS Members Prizes Monument of the Month CMS Publications Events Monuments Bibliography Resources Links Noticeboard Search this site

The Society is a registered charity. No.279597 Registered Office: The Society of Antiquaries, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London. W1V 0HS Copyright (c) 2016 CMS. All rights reserved.

MONUMENTS IN THE NEWS


If you find any articles on, or related to, church monuments, be they informative, interesting, gruesome, amusing, silly or even down right wrong, in newspapers, magazines, radio, television etc, please send me information at publicitycmsoc@gmail.com

Please note that actual articles are often quoted as they were written and neither the style, content nor opinion are necessarily those of the Publicity Officer or Church Monuments Society. They will be kept on this page until the end of the year in which they appeared and then archived.

December 2016

St Kenelm, Sapperton


The latest NADFAS magazine has a short piece on the transfer of  the church of St Kenelm at Sapperton in Gloucestershire to the care of the Churches Conservation Trust, bringing their holdings to 350 churches. This is of particular interest to members of the Society because of the very fine memorials in the church. Below are two examples, the monuments of Sir Henry Poole and Anne, Lady Poole (1616) and Sir Robert Atkyns (1711), the  monument by Edward Stanton. More photographs of the monuments (and some stunning Jacobean panelling) at http://www.britainexpress.com/counties/glouces/churches/sapperton.htm.


















June 2015

Theft of Cross Shaft


An important Anglo Saxon (9th Century) stone, believed to be a cross shaft, was stolen from Hovingham church, between Ampleforth and Malton, between 23rd May and 6th June. Following other similar thefts, including the theft of an ancient Norse stone from Harewood church last year, a clear pattern is emerging and there is no doubt that someone is specialising in their theft and disposal. If any of your local churches (or museums) have any items like this, please pass a warning on to them: they may want to either make the items concerned harder to steal by securing them with fixings or inside a secure display case, or temporarily removing them from display until such time as they can be displayed more securely. These items are completely irreplaceable and their preservation is tantamount.


   



The Hovingham stone is 51cm high; 19-23.2cm wide; 10-2-12.8cm deep.

It was discovered in 1977 amongst masonry (Peter Addyman pers. comm).


According to the Anglo-Saxon Corpus (York and Eastern Yorkshire, Lang 1991, 145-6) it was probably part of a cross-shaft and the eminent art historian Dr Jane Hawkes suggests that it dates to c.800 and is probably contemporary with the shrine front (reredos). It is, she notes, "extremely rare in its layout and decoration, so VERY precious!!"


* * *