Church Monuments Society
The Society is a registered charity. No.279597 Registered Office: The Society of Antiquaries, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London. W1V 0HS Copyright (c) 2016 CMS. All rights reserved.
MONUMENT OF THE MONTH (like to contribute? Click here for details)
Bonvilston war memorial comprises a Forest stone cross which was erected on the surviving medieval stepped base in St Mary's churchyard; Figure 1.
A new front top step or 'landing stone', also of Forest stone; Figure 2, bears the
following inscription between two carved wreaths labelled 1914 and 1918:-
TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND THE GRATEFUL MEMORY OF
ANGUS ALEXANDER MACKINTOSH OF MACKINTOSH. CAPT.
GEORGE GILBERT TRAHERNE. CAPT.
CHARLES L. WYNDHAM WILLIAMS. MIDSHIPMAN. R.N.
DAVID HENRY HIGGINS, SAPPR. HENRY LEONARD THOMAS. THOMAS HOBBS.
WHO SACRIFICED THEIR LIVES DURING THE GREAT WAR.
In the churchyard wall facing the A48 road a tablet of Portland stone was erected bearing the names of all those of the parish and district who served.. The original inscription and list of names is now covered by a polished grey granite plaque within the original frame; Figure 3. The inscription and list of names is shown below.
In April 1919 Harry Gregory started work on design for the wall tablet and his drawing has survived; Figure 4. Bath and Portland Stone Firms Ltd. supplied stone for the tablet in September and Mirey Stock Quarries of Bristol supplied Forest stone for the cross in November. Work was completed in April 1920. The architectural sculptorW. W. Taylor was responsible for carving the wreaths on the landing stone and the decoration on the tablet frame. In total the work took about 1,588 man hours. Day works and expenses for the cross and repairs to existing steps came to £95:11:8 and for the tablet, including modification of the wall to which it was fixed, came to £78:18s:6d. The total bill was £195:9s:9d representing an overall profit of about 12%. The cross was unveiled by Mrs. Mackintosh of Mackintosh and dedicated by Bishop Crossley at a memorial service held on Wednesday May 19th 1920.
Day Book and Bill Book records are appended.
AND THE RESTORED CROSS IN THE
CHURCHYARD WERE ERECTED BY PUBLIC
SUBSCRIPTION TO THE MEMORY OF THE MEN OF
THIS PARISH AND DISTRICT WHO WENT FORTH TO
SERVE THEIR COUNTRY DURING THE GREAT WAR
ANGUS ALEXANDER MACKINTOSH of MACKINTOSH. CAPT.
SAMUEL SEIG, CAPT.
GEORGE GILBERT TRAHERNE, CAPT.
HERBERT WYNDHAM WILLIAMS, LIEUT. R. N..
CHARLES L. WYNDHAM WILLIAMS, MIDSHIPMAN R. N.
JOHN REGINALD ENGLAND, LIEUT
THOMAS JOHN GRIFFITHS, LIEUT.
WILLIAM HENRY BASSET,
EDGAR COLES, M.M. SERGT.
CHARLES EDWIN DEERE, CORPL.
AUGUSTUS SAMUEL GAINEY, SERGT.
DAVID STANLEY GRIFFITHS, SERGT.
WILLIAM JOHN HIGGINS,
DAVID HENRY HIGGINS, SAPPER.
ERNEST FARR HIGGINS, CORPL.
ALFRED SAMUEL HIGGINS, SERGT.
HENRY JOHN HARRINGTON,
ALFRED HAMMINGTON, CORPL.
FREDEREICK J. HANNINGTON,
GOMER DAVID JOHN, CORPL.
FRONK LUSH, CORPL.
SYDNEY G. PRICKETT,
JOHN LESLIE REES, CORPL.
MORLAIS G. REES,
DAVID G. ROWSELL,
ERNEST ALFRED TAYLOR, SERGT.
EDWARD J. THOMAS,
HENRY LEONARD THOMAS,
PERCY JOHN THOMAS,
The war memorial inside the parish church of St Cedwyn, Llangedwyn, Powys, is an
unusual piece of Arts-
The design of the war memorial is credited to a local man, John Haughton Maurice
Bonner. A local landowner, from Bryn-
Although his work was mainly based in London, Bonnor designed a number of memorials at Llangedwyn, including the memorial cross for the Wynn family. He would have been the obvious person to ask to design a war memorial for the parish, but he himself died (probably of tuberculosis) in 1917. It is not impossible that the parish could have been considering a memorial by that date. The scale of local losses had already led many parishes to begin assembling rolls of honour. Annual commemorative events were held on the anniversary of the outbreak of war, and by 1916 some communities had constructed ‘war shrines’, temporary wooden structures with rolls of honour and vases for flowers. It is possible, therefore, that Bonnor had at least done some preliminary designs for the Llangedwyn memorial, though in the event it was completed at his workshop under his wife’s leadership.
Many thanks to Phil Hellin for the photograph and for much of this information.
The memorial is in the Imperial War Museum’s database of war memorials: http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/17788
The church also has a framed Roll of Honour http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/17789
For more about Bonner, see ‘John Houghton Maurice Bonnor: A little known designer
of the Arts and Crafts Movement’, by Muriel Wilson, The Journal of the Decorative
Arts Society 1850-
Our commemoration of the end of the First World War continues with another instalment
in Mike Statham’s study of war memorials in south Wales. Mike’s main interest is
in the design and construction of the memorials. For a slightly different perspective,
we look forward to several database projects. There’s one based in Swansea University
Wenvoe War Memorial
Wenvoe War Memorial is situated in the centre of Wenvoe village, Vale of Glamorgan,
at NGR ST 122727. It is located at the north end of a small public park, once the
location of the village duck pond, on Old Port Road between the junction with Walston
Road and the Wenvoe Arms public house, Figure 1. It comprises a central monolithic
stone of roughly rectangular horizontal cross section (approx. 4ft [1.2m] x 2ft [0.6m])
and very approximately 11ft (3.5m) in height, the front (east) face of which bears
‘TO THE HONOURED MEMORY OF THE MEN FROM THIS PARISH WHO DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR’
together with their names (thirteen in all).
The names of three men who fell in WW2 have been added below the WW1 list.
The main stone is surrounded by nine large stones of irregular size all about 3ft 3in (1m) in height. Six of these stones bear inscriptions of the 63 men from the village who served and survived (one bears names on two of its faces). All the stones are rough, as obtained from the quarry, except the areas bearing the inscriptions and names, which have been dressed. They are composed of Carboniferous Limestone from the Alps Quarry, Wenvoe, doubtless a place where some of the men were, or had been employed. Some of the stones have weathered rather badly exhibiting many cracks and a few of the names are now difficult to read.
The memorial stands in its own grassed enclosure, at the centre of a circular stone-
The memorial was designed by sculptor William Clarke who had retired prior to the
start of WW1 and had moved from Llandaff to live at Upper House in Wenvoe. Work commenced
23 May 1919 with William’s son Guy preparing a sketch for the project. This took
2½ hours, his rate of pay being one shilling an hour. Much of the early work was
done on the stones whilst still at the Alps Quarry. The stones were then hauled up
to the site where they were erected on a concrete foundation. The job was completed
in mid November. Excluding haulage, hire of tackle and equipment and sharpening tools,
a total of about 2,455 man hours was spent by Clarke’s workforce. Of this about 38%
was unskilled labour at 1/4½ per hour and 20% unnamed masons at 1/7 per hour. Named
workers were responsible for the remainder of the work and were paid rates varying
from 1/7 to 2/-
Clarke’s archive also contains photographs of the memorial under construction; Figure 5 and William Clarke siting beside the completed monument in the company of some children; Figure 6. The names that are no longer readable today due to weathering of the lettering can be seen clearly in a enlargement of this photograph.
Clarke’s Account Book for the period 1900-
Thanks to W Clarke, Llandaff for access and permission to reproduced material from their archive, which remain their copyright.
(This report was submitted to CADW, as a result of which the structure is now Grade II listed.)
LIST OF NAMES
THOSE KILLED WW1
WILLIAM C CLARKE
ARTHUR W DAVID
WILFRED H GRAHAM
VICTOR D JENKIN
JOHN L MORGAN
WILLIAM G SEYMOUR
WILLIAM M THOMAS
THOSE KILLED WW2
THOSE WHO SERVED IN WW1 AND RETURNED
H. A. W. WATTS
H. J. WILLIAMS
STONE 2 EAST FACE
E. J. OAKLEY
E. F. POLLENTINE
J. M. RICHARDS
H. W. R. SCOTT
T. A. SCOTT
STONE 2 NORTH FACE
C. B. THOMAS
J. C. THOMAS
M. L. THOMAS
T. C. TOOZE
A. A. TURNER
W. H. HEAD
C. J. HOWELL
C. R. HOWELL
R. F. JENNER
T. C. JENKIN
T. E. JENKIN
E. D. JOHN
I. R. JOHN
C. F. MORGAN
F. S. FRANCIS
R. J. FRY
W. E. FRY
A. J. GREATREX
E. J. GREATREX
R. H. GREATREX
T. H. GREATREX
A. H. COX
C. E. EDWARDS
A. E. FISHLOCK
T. W. D BENSLEY
E. T. BIRD
G G? BIRD
W. J. BIRD
W. M. BIRD
Commemorating 1918: war memorials and individual monuments
1918 sees the centenary of the end of the First World War. The huge scale of loss of life in the war led to a number of changes in commemorative practices. We will be marking this anniversary with a series of Monuments of the Month. By 1918, many communities had already started planning memorials to the local dead. Some built community halls. The parish of Moelfre on Anglesey installed street lighting. For most, though, a memorial stone listing the names of the dead was part of the commemoration. We will be featuring several of these in the course of the year. We begin, though, with Jean Wilson’s study of two individual monuments in Norfolk which are in many ways typical of the new restrained style of commemoration.
Loddon, Norfolk: Francis Edward Cadge †1915 at Gallipoli; William Cadge †1915 at Loos.
The War to end all Wars, which led to the eventual break-